Frequently asked questions about CBD and our products
Do you accept returns?
- Yes, all CBD products purchased through Quicksilver Farm can be returned within 15 days of delivery. For more information please reference our return policy here.
What is CBD?
- CBD is one of more than 80 active cannabinoid chemicals in hemp plants. Unlike its well-known sibling, THC, CBD is not psychoactive.
Is CBD safe to use on my animal?
- Yes, while a limited amount of clinical research is available on using CBD in animals, due to the decades-long research blockade in the US, recent studies have shown great promise for CBD in helping some very common problems in horses and dogs, like behavioral issues related to anxiety and pain from arthritis. For more serious conditions, like cancer, epilepsy and diabetes, animal caretakers should seek advice from a knowledgeable veterinarian before embarking on high-dose cannabinoid use.
Will CBD get my animal “high”?
- NO, CBD does not get you high. Unlike THC, CBD does not produce the psychoactive effect that is commonly associated with marijuana. CBD can prevent THC molecules from binding to the brain’s receptors. CBD has not demonstrated toxicity in the body; however, it is highly reactive with the body’s Endocannabinoid System.
Are there any side-effects from using CBD?
- The use of CBD has shown to be non-toxic and safe for human and animal consumption and is well tolerated even at higher doses. The only side effect seen from using CBD in pets has been mildly-elevated liver enzymes. This side effect arose in research studies using very high doses — eight to 16 times the levels that knowledgeable vets would prescribe for dogs. This suggests that many animals can get pain relief without the problems commonly seen with NSAID use, like GI upset or liver damage, when CBD is prescribed in proper dosages. Be sure to follow proper dosing recommendation on all Quicksilver CBD products.
How does CBD work?
- CBD binds to the cannabinoid receptors in the body’s endocannabinoid system. CBD acts as a potent antioxidant and works with different receptors in our brain, gut, and immune system. More precisely, it activates the cannabinoid receptors rather than interacting with them directly.
Is CBD legal?
- Yes, CBD products derived from hemp are legal in all 50 states (Note the keyword “hemp-derived”— since hemp typically contains THC content of less than 0.3%). However, individual states have different rules about precisely who, and under what conditions, can access CBD products. Many states have laws progressing through their state legislatures right now to regulate the industry. We recommend that you check your state laws on the current status of CBD.
What is the endocannabinoid system (ECS)?
- CBD acts as stimuli for the cannabinoid receptors in the brain, gut, and immune system to support mental and physical health. Ingesting this potent antioxidant also activates the endocannabinoid system (ECS) located in the brain and throughout the central nervous system. The ECS is perhaps one of the most valuable biological systems supporting you from day-to-day. It is primarily made of neuromodulatory lipids and their receptors, which are found in various tissues throughout the body. In each tissue, cannabinoids perform different tasks to maintain your body’s delicate balance through the ups and downs of life. The ECS contains two main types of receptors, cannabinoid 1 (CB1) and cannabinoid 2 (CB2). These receptors help balance and support the following: healthy heart, muscles, joints, bone health, a sense of calm, and daily stresses.
Can I use CBD in horse show competitions?
- No. The USEF recently announced that, starting in September of last year, cannabinoids are not allowed during competition, and will be added to random drug testing programs. This ban is actually an early indicator of just how powerful CBD can be for behavioral and pain issues in horses. So if you ride competitively in shows that do drug testing, you will need to stop giving your horse CBD seven days before the event.
How is Quicksilver Farm CBD processed?
- Quicksilver Farm works in conjunction with Carolina CBD Solutions to create pharmacist-formulated products. Our CBD is extracted using the ethanol extraction method. Unlike other techniques, this method can produce CBD with up to 99% purity, pulling out both water and oil soluble terpenes and minerals. This method is also safer on the environment than many other techniques since almost all byproducts from the process can be reclaimed.
Which product would be best for my animal?
- This ultimately depends on how you plan on using the product. Quicksilver Farm sells two categories of products: products designed for consumption and products designed for topological use. If you are looking to see results in specific problem areas, a topological product may be the right choice for your animal. Other use-cases such as dietary issues, travel stress, and immune conditions may be more suited for one of our consumable products.
What is the difference between your full spectrum vs. isolate products?
- CBD isolate products contain only isolated CBD without any other cannabinoids, terpenes, or flavonoids. Whereas our full-spectrum products contain a full range of the different cannabinoids extracted from the plant while still maintaining 0.3% THC. Full spectrum advocates appreciate the “entourage effect” of having multiple cannabinoids and terpenes, and there is some early evidence that full spectrum products may be more effective when very high doses are needed. A CBD isolate product has no smell or taste on its own and can be compounded with other oils, like coconut oil or olive oil for better palatability and can be dosed more precisely. In some cases, isolate products may require larger doses to get the same effect as full spectrum products.